Tuesday 22 July 2014

How the film 'Taken' potentially saved my life. . .

So the title says all really. For anyone who hasn't seen the film, it's about 2 girls who travel to Paris from America and get kidnapped after sharing a taxi home with a good-looking french man who turns out to be a part of a huge human trafficking scandal. After watching the first time I told myself I was never going to Paris! Of course the film is blown out of proportion in some ways (I don't think anyone's dad would be as awesome as Liam Neeson in this, not even mine. Sorry dad, love you still!) but there are still many harsh truths depicted in the film. This would include the existence of human trafficking not only in Paris, but all across Europe and the rest of the world.

     My experience differs a lot from the film (thankfully!) but it's still kind of scary to think what could have happened had I not been aware of how easily abductions can happen. It occurred when I went to Italy for my godson's christening in September 2012. After the christening I decided to go to Rome by myself for 2 days before we flew back home. I had not been in Rome since I was 8 years old. I spent 3 months there on our first ever holiday abroad when my dad was working over there so I longed to go back to the city and re-explore the place that means so much to my childhood.
     I was staying in a hostel and had been walking around sight-seeing all day. As the evening came and the darkness rolled in with it, it started to rain. This meant the streets weren't bustling with tourists/locals as much as they would be if it were dry. Considering the rain was more of a heavy drizzle and the air was warm, I had no problem walking around and ticking each landmark that I wanted to see at night (for the lights) off my list. And of course I'm Irish too so a bitta drizzle wasn't going to get in my way, would you be mad?! 
My view having walked around the corner. 
     I was using my trusty tourist map to get around, but the streets are easy enough to navigate so I had no map in hand while walking around the corner into Piazza di Trevi to the beautiful Trevi Fountain. I wasn't dressed like a tourist but the long ginger, curly hair and glow-in-the-dark pale skin kind of gives it away in most cases! There was about 30 people at the fountain which is nothing compared to what it was like when I went there the next day on a dry night. This time I'm sure there were more umbrellas than people. I noticed a young man talking in a group that I had to walk by to get to the front of the fountain. They all appeared to be friends, I thought nothing of it, I was just taking in my surroundings. 
      While standing at the fountain, taking pictures and enjoying the view, I saw the man I noticed with the group approach from the corner of my eye and stand a few feet away from me on my left facing the fountain. He said 'Hello' to me, but as I wasn't looking at him and my hair was down (I allowed that to hang by the side of my face so it would seem I have no peripheral vision which made it easier to ignore him) I pretended not to either hear what he said or show I knew he was talking to me. After a few attempts of saying hello in different languages he took a step closer so that he was about 2 feet from me and said 'Hello!' directly at me. I felt I couldn't ignore him any longer so I turned and said 'Hello!' right back. He was slightly taller than me, a skinny fella, light hair, sallow skin, bright eyes, crooked teeth, not the best looking chap. He proceeded to ask why I have no umbrella, there was some small talk. He offered to take a picture of me in front of the fountain, which I accepted as all my previous landmark photos were just selfies with me and the building masked behind my frizzy hair. He took a few photos (not a great photographer might I add!) and he handed back the camera. He asked if I was here by myself and I said I was with my family who I'm meeting soon (lie). I asked him where he was from and he said Milan. I asked if he was here with friends and he said no, he was alone. At that point the caution bells that were tinging in my head burst into alarm bells. He wasn't here alone, he was here with a group of other young men. I just knew from the way I saw him talking to them earlier that he knew them. He asked if I would like to go for coffee to which I politely declined. He insisted and tried to talk it up as if this coffee would be the best experience of my life. This is also only after about 4 minutes of small talk, not even. I told him my family were waiting on me in a restaurant (lie) in the hopes that he would just give up and leave me alone so I could get back to enjoying the Trevi. He wouldn't give up though so I left him as I told him I had to go meet my family (lie) as he continued with protests. 
      I walked hastily away and down Via del Lavatore and went into Al Picchio, a beautiful restaurant which turns out was my favourite place to eat out in, 12 years earlier. I just went into it this time because it wasn't too far from the Trevi so if Milan Man tried to follow me he'd see me going into a restaurant. Plus I liked how it looked on the outside! 
It's pasta made of potatoe. Irish mind BLOWN.
     That was all the interaction with Milan Man I had. In the restaurant and for the rest of the trip I didn't really think much else of it. I was hungry and was mapping my route across Rome for the following day. What affected me more then was how pitiful and surprised the waiters were that I was dining alone. They removed the place mat across from me while looking at me like I was a child whose puppy had just died. The cheek! I was also trying gnocchi for the first time so I had practically forgotten about it. Food does that to me sometimes!
      On hindsight though, thinking about my interaction with Milan Man, I could have completely overreacted. He might have been just a sincere guy chancing his arm at a date with an Irish girl or just trying to get to know some travelers. I could have just been paranoid. Maybe he wasn't going to get me involved in human trafficking in some way. Maybe it might not have been as drastic as that. Maybe he wanted the 'ride' as some would say! To me, that is definitely something I still did not want. Maybe nothing would have happened if I went for that coffee, expect for a chat.
      But then again, maybe I could have died. Who knows? No one knows. All I know is I did not get a good feeling off this guy and I went with my gut. One thing I do know is I certainly do not regret not going for coffee with him just to be nice. I honestly don't know though, if I would have made the same choice had I not seen Taken.
      It's crazy to think what a fictional movie can teach you. I never doubted the existence of human trafficking but I never thought it would consist of 'nice' people luring you into a false friendship or sense of security. If I had not seen the movie, I would like to think I would have made the same choice. I hope I wouldn't have been naive enough to accept a date with a stranger in the capital city of a foreign country I was only familiar with. [I definitely would have turned down the coffee though. I hate coffee. Hot chocolate person all the way!] Many close friends who know me, know I find it extremely hard to say no to people, especially when it comes to turning down a guy. I either just go along with it for fear of hurting their feelings or run away and cut off all contact with them. [That's awful, I know, but I'm working on it!] So I honestly don't know if I would still be here or not had I not been recently exposed to human trafficking in Europe. 
Like I said, not the best photographer!
     That photo of me in front of the Trevi fountain could have been the last photo taken of me. Again, I know other people have more exciting stories of when they were actually kidnapped or robbed from or jailed and can laugh about it now, but it's always better to be safe than sorry, right? Would you have done the same? When it comes to travelling alone, especially as a female, you're always better off not taking any risks.
     Good advice to the lone female traveler would be;

  • Always be alert when traveling, especially walking around at night. Be aware and take in your surroundings. You don't always have to be on edge, just alert.
  • Don't get drunk when you're on your own in a city, even if your drinking with a group you just met. 
  • Don't let men buy you drinks, they usually want something from you in return and could easily spike you. 
  • Walk around with confidence. If you can't avoid interactions with strangers you don't want to talk to, speak to them confidently and don't be afraid to reject their offers. (This is also why I tried not to walk around with my map out all the time.)
  • Lie (with confidence). Say you're travelling with family/partner/friends if needs be.
  • Carry a safety whistle and/or pepper spray if you want, for extra protection.
  • If you're walking around on your own, try not to wear provocative or revealing clothing. Dress for the climate but try to be smart about it. I know nobody asks to be attacked and we are able to wear want we want but always consider your surroundings and safety.
  • Read up on where you're going before you get there and what kind of illegal activity goes on there so you know what to avoid.
  • Always, always trust your gut feeling. If you don't like the vibe you're getting off a person or place, leave.

You can adhere to the above advice and still have a damn good time. I certainly did! I think to live is to travel. And you need to be alive to live so look after yourself. ;) 

So inadvertently, Liam Neeson kind of potentially saved my life! Damn. I'm sure there's potential for Taken 3 there. . .

Any feedback, questions, advice, thoughts are kindly welcomed. Have a great day and happy travels!

Grá.

Ceara

x

I took this picture as I left the fountain. His umbrella is out of sight. Beautiful fountain though! A must see in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment